Westminster was organized on April 15, 1951 by a group of people who wanted a congregation where God and his Word would be front and center in all the life of the church. The congregation started with families living in the LaGrange/Westchester area, and has grown to include people from Chicago, Bolingbrook, Blue Island, and Des Plaines. The Lord has brought many together from the four corners of Chicagoland to form a wonderful witness to the work of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
We are a Chicago metro-area congregation of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC), a fellowship of congregations with its roots in the Reformed and Presbyterian traditions. The OPC seeks to be faithful to God in what we teach, how we reach out, how we organize ourselves, and how we worship.
The OPC was forced to separate from the PCUSA in the 1930s because of theological liberalism (where some were denying central Christian teachings such as the physical resurrection of Christ, his virgin birth, his second coming, essentially anit-supernaturalism). See "What We Believe" for more information. This congregation has been building on the solid foundation of full confidence in Scripture since it began.
We have been a missions-oriented church across the decades, have supported numerous missionaries, and have seen some of our own people become missionaries and pastors across the country and different parts of the world.
Our congregation has been served over the years by a number of pastors, including Dr. Edmund Clowney, Lawrence Eyres, Glen Black, Harlee Bordeaux, Ivan DeMaster, William Rudolph, Bradford Freeman, and Charles Telfer. Our present pastor, Robert Tarullo, began his ministry in August of 2012. The Lord has blessed us in many ways over the years, and we would love to have the opportunity of sharing some of that with you!